- 1/2 red onion, quartered
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, such as cremini or white button
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 whole wheat pitas, halved and warmed
1. Place the garlic in a food processor, and pulse until chopped. Add the onion, celery, mushrooms, spinach, beans, and salsa, and pulse until a chunky mixture forms, 2 to 3 pulses.
2. Add the oats, egg whites, salt, and pepper, pulsing once or twice, until mixed.Form the mixture into 4 equal patties.
3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties, and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side, until the burgers are lightly browned and warmed through.
4. Slide each burger into a half pita. ENJOY!!