For the 12 days leading up to Christmas, we will be posting 1 new Gluten Free recipe a day. These are perfect as an appetizer, finger foods, or simple dishes to take to holiday parties (or even make just for yourself!). Enjoy!
- 2 ounces rice vermicelli (60 mL)
- 8 rice wrappers (8.5 inch diameter)
- 8 large cooked shrimp – peeled, deveined and cut in half
- 1 1/3 tablespoons chopped fresh Thai basil (20 mL)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves (45 mL)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (45 mL)
- 2 leaves lettuce, chopped
- Soak vermicelli in cold water until soft. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil and cook vermicelli for 2-3 minutes, or until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for a second and lay the wrapper on a flat surface.
- In a row across the center, place 3 shrimp halves down and top with vermicelli, basil, mint, cilantro and lettuce – leaving about 2 inches on each side. Fold the uncovered sides inward and roll the wrapper tightly. Serve with Spicy Peanut Sauce.
Spicy peanut sauce:
- ½ cup peanut butter (120 mL)
- 2 tablespoons water (30 mL)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin (15 mL)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha (5 mL)
- Handful of peanuts, crushed
Mix peanut butter and water together until thoroughly mixed. Add more water (1 teaspoon at a time) if the consistency is too thick. Stir in hoisin and Sriracha and top with crushed peanuts. Serve with spring rolls.