If you’re not using a foam roller, we have one question for you: Why Not? Maybe you don’t know how to use it, or what it’s for. Maybe you’ve watched someone roll on top of it while cringing and biting their lip and wondered “Why would someone do that?!”
Fear Not – because Myofasical Release (or Foam Rolling) is one of the BEST things you have probably never done!
Simply put, it is one of the most effective tools at your disposal for physique-building, recovery and injury prevention. Self-myofascial release – is a fancy term for self-massage to release muscle tightness or trigger points. Basically, by applying pressure to specific points on your body you are able to aid in the recovery of your muscles. Of course, getting a deep tissue massage is a nice way to go too, but it takes a lot of time and gets very expensive. For as little as $25 (and we sell them at Body Fit), you can find a basic foam roller and in 10 minutes begin that well-needed release your muscles need to stay pain-free.
Why Should You Foam Roll?
1) Increased Range of Motion – Moving well is key at any age. Tight muscles don’t allow this, but by being proactive, you can reduce muscle soreness and recover faster from activities.
2) Increased Flexibility – Tights muscles impede movement – regular foam rolling before, during and after your workout / activity can help you move better.
3) Prevent Injury – by doing regular foam rolling – you are “paying it forward” in terms of injury prevention.
4) De-Stress – we all have stress in our lives, a little foam rolling at the end of your day can be a great way to relax and de-stress.
5) Repair – when we work our muscles, we cause micro-tears in them. Repair and rest must go hand in hand. Foam rolling helps “smooth” out scar tissue and assists with muscle repair and removes toxins from the muscles.
You should always consult with a Trainer or knowledgeable professional prior to Foam Rolling.
Give it a try!