- 3 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 4 cups of butternut squash, in 1/2 inch cubes and peeled
- 3 cups of leek slices, 1/2 inch wide (white and pale green parts only!)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chopped thyme
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 4 14ounce cans of vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 3/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add squash and saute until beginning to soften and brown around the edges. (approx 5 minutes). Transfer squash to medium bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, leeks, and thyme to same pot and stir until tender (but not brown). This will also take approximately 5 minutes
- Add rice and stir for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of broth and simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add remaining broth by 1/2 cupfuls, allowing each addition to be absorbed before adding next, stirring often (this will take about 15 minutes).
- Return squash to pot and continue to cook until rice is just tender but still very creamy. Stir gently and often for about 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Stir in basil and 3/4 cups of grated cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large bowl and serve with additional cheese if desired.